Friday, May 25, 2007

LA, a beautiful town

Even tho my joints are screaming, I'm enjoying this town. Walked too much yesterday, up the hill to Walt Disney Concert Hall (about a mile) and bought tickets for two concerts, last night (Russian Chanson) and tonight (LA Phil), 2 in a series concluding soon called Shadow of Stalin. Then I walked just a block or so to the MOCA-LA and wandered around their exibit. The travelling exibit was more interesting to me than the permenant installations (pretty esoteric "modern art").
After walking back to the hotel, and a nap, I took a taxi back to WDCH, and prepared for I had no idea what. Turned out to be mostly a group called DeVotchka, which was pretty cool, a guitar/vocalist who also played theremin, a violin/accordian player, a drummer/trumpet player, and a woman who alternated between sousaphone and standup bass (the bow was ready in the holster, but I never saw her use it). The sousaphone bell was covered in red christmas lights, and she had great legs and good footwork. Their stuff was very engaging, not deafening (a criterion as I get older), in Russian (I guess) and English, with a few instrumentals. Clearly a lot of fans in the audience, who started screaming and clapping at the opening bars of many tunes.
I have never been in an audience where only 2/3 were there at the start. people kept wandering in throughout the show! One group of 4 crawled over me 1 min before intermission. The ticket lady warned me to be on time tonight or I'd miss the first half. Clearly they're stricter for symphony concerts.
The Show last night also included a rap poet named Saul Williams. Boy am I getting MY horizons broadened! Apparently he's well known too. He started what appeared to be reading from the transcript of James Roberson's testimony before the House Unamerican Activities comittee? then went into a rant/recitation that judging from the program notes, is from his book, ",said the shotgun to the head".
This am I finally found and AA meeting, a pleasant welcoming group of folks at the downtown YMCA. Hope to get to another tomorrow, then fly back home early Sunday

No comments: