Monday, May 14, 2007

I'm in Shanghai!

I just have a little time, we made it to our "Days Hotel" in Shanghai after seeing the high spots in Hanzhou (Han-joe) yesterday. So far Hanzhou would be my first choice if I were to live in china. The man-made lake at the summer palace in Beijing was patterned after the nautal lake here. We are definitely in the south! Oleander, persimmon, camellia bushes. We visited a tea plantation, and I have bought some of the very best green tea in the world! Smells like fresh spinach! Now there's selling point, right? We were lectured by a gregarious fellow nick]named "dr. Tea", says he went to college and majored in tea cultivation, so I guess I have to accept his opinion. After the long explanation of the green te we were buying, I asked about the Jasemine we had had on the plane from LAX. He frowned and said "That's just poor quality tea with a few blossoms thrown in. The foreigners love it". Oh, well!
So far I have not found any food I am in love with. Sorry, but I really miss coffee and dairy. An entire cuisine without dairy!?!
We did wander around Nanking road last night. The tour guide said "if you tell them youwent to Shanghai they will ask, did you go to Nanking road? If you say no, they will say, you didn't go to Shanghai!". OK, we looked, tons of shops in amazing dark mahogany storefronts, pagoda roofs, pyrhana-like sales people... now lets go play some music, and maybe another day we'll shop.
Have no idea if I'll have www access from our digs at the conservatory. I'm taking lotsa pix!!
Karen

No comments: